The South Orange Fire Department, with assistance from other local fire departments, battled a fire Saturday night that damaged a two-story house on University Court late Saturday night, temporarily displacing the residents but causing no injuries.
Firefighters responded to the homeowners’ call to 911 at around 10 p.m., said Deputy Chief Daniel Sullivan, to find heavy smoke coming from the first and second floors. They discovered a fire in the first floor kitchen that that was extending to the second floor via the wall space, said Sullivan.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and searched the rest of the house. They rescued two pets, who were not injured.
Mutual Aid was provided by the Orange and Maplewood Fire Departments at the scene; the Irvington, East Orange, and West Orange Fire Departments provided additional coverage, and the South Orange Rescue Squad was on the scene. Police temporarily shut down South Orange Avenue and University Court during the fire.
This incident has been classified as accidental due to excessive heat from an appliance, Sullivan said.
The home was significantly damaged and was declared uninhabitable by the South Orange Construction Official. The family was temporarily relocated by the American Red Cross.