People That You Meet is a series of interviews conducted and posted by the Vanessa Pollock Team/Keller Williams, highlighting residents of the South Orange-Maplewood community and their diverse and interesting lives.
This installment is an interview with Tara Parsons, Editor-in-Chief of the Touchstone imprint at Simon & Schuster.
What town do you live in?
Where did you live before that?
- New York
What brought you to SOMA (or surrounding town)?
- Family (my husband and I both grew up in Jersey), the Midtown Direct train, the schools, and, of course, Maplewoodstock..
What do you do (for a living or as a serious hobby)?
- I’m the Editor-in-Chief of the Touchstone imprint at Simon & Schuster. We publish the best of book club fiction and nonfiction – books you can’t wait to discuss with your family, friends, neighbors, and with random people wherever books are sold (though particularly at [Words] bookstore in Maplewood NJ).
What’s your favorite feature of your home?
- The library/music room. But I love almost everything about our house, the old windows, the original wood floors; I even love the weird saloon window that opens out of our laundry room into the kids’ play area.
Where do you love to go on a date night?
- Tillie’s on Millburn.
What’s the best book you’ve read in the last 5 years?
- All of the books I’ve had the honor of publishing. To name some recent books that I highly recommend: for literary fiction lovers – THE INCARNATIONS by Susan Barker, for readers who loved STATION ELEVEN or THE AGE OF MIRACLES, AND AGAIN by Jessica Chiarella, for memoir, PLEASE ENJOY YOUR HAPPINESS by Paul Brinkley-Rogers, and if you love psychological suspense, THE TWILIGHT WIFE by A.J. Banner..
Describe your family:
- 1-Frazzled wife and mom 1-Frazzled husband and hands-on dad 2-Children who are the light of our lives – an 8-year-old boy and 5-year-old girl.
Describe your ideal day:
- Go for a run at the Reservation, walk to town, have brunch at Lorena’s, see a movie, pick up a book at Words and fresh fish at Freeman’s Fish Market, have a frozen yogurt at Strawberry Fields, walk home, glass of wine with friends and neighbors, dinner in the backyard.
Of all the places you’ve traveled, which is your favorite?
- France…no, Iceland…no, France.
How would you describe your “style”?
People That You Meet: http://vanessapollock.com/people-that-you-meet/