The first of several South Orange-Maplewood Board of Education candidates forums is scheduled to take place this Wednesday night, October 3 at 6:30 p.m. at the Maplewood Library, 50 Baker Street, Maplewood, NJ.
“If you can’t attend, it will be broadcast live on the South Orange Maplewood Cares about Schools Facebook Page and recorded to be shown on our public access cable channel [SOMAtv],” announced South Orange Maplewood Cares About Schools administrator Elissa Malespina.
Additional upcoming forums include:
- The League of Women Voters and Presidents’ Council BOE Candidates Forum: Wednesday, October 10, 7:30 p.m. at the BOE meeting room at 525 Academy Street, Maplewood, NJ.
- South Orange/Maplewood Community Coalition on Race BOE Candidates Forum, October 23. More details to come.
- TBD: Hilton Neighborhood Association BOE Candidates Forum, October 18, 7:30 p.m., DeHart Community Center.
- TBD: PARES “Candidating” event November 3, at Maplewood Memorial Library.
Village Green contacted Walter Fields of SOMA Black Parents Workshop to ask if BPW would be hosting a forum this year. Fields responded, “No, but we will engage the candidates regarding issues of equity. I will keep you posted.”
There are 11 candidates vying for three seats on the South Orange-Maplewood Board of Education this year. Election day is November 6. The candidates are:
- Annemarie Maini (incumbent)
- Narda Chisholm-Greene
- Michael Laskowski
- Bruno J. Navarro
- James C. Wilkes
- Christopher Trzaska
- Shannon Cuttle
- Felisha George
- Avery Julien
- Javier A. Farfan
- Marian Cutler
Village Green is awaiting candidate statements from most of the candidates and will post and link to those statements when they are received.