The third time’s the charm! Thrice-nominated Maplewood resident Stephanie J. Block has won her first Tony Award — and it’s a big one. Block was awarded the 2019 Tony Award as Best Leading Actress in a Musical for her performance as “Star,” one-third of the title character in the bio-musical The Cher Show.
The award was bestowed at the 73rd Annual Tonys ceremony at Radio City Music Hall on June 9.
Block bested a tough field of contenders: fellow nominees Caitlin Kinnunen (The Prom), Beth Leavel (The Prom), Eva Noblezada (Hadestown) and Kelli O’Hara (Kiss Me, Kate!). Noblezada was previously nominated for Miss Saigon, and Leavel and O’Hara are previous Tony Award winners.
Block was previously nominated for The Mystery of Edwin Drood and Falsettos. Her other Broadway credits include Wicked, The Boy from Oz, 9 to 5, Anything Goes and The Pirate Queen.
Read more about Block, her award acceptance speech, and The Cher Show at broadway.com.
South Orange and Maplewood are home to many Tony winners and nominees:
- Maplewood resident Gavin Lee nominated for a 2018 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for his role as Squidward Tentacles in SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical.
- Norbert Leo Butz (two-time winner, Lead Actor; also nominated in 2018 for Featured Actor in a Musical for My Fair Lady)
- Christine Ebersole (two-time winner for Lead Actress, two-time nominee).
- Kate Baldwin (nominated twice: once for Best Actress and once for Best Featured Actress).
- South Orange resident Michelle Pawk won a Tony Award as Best Featured Actress in a Play for Hollywood Arms in 2003.
- South Orange resident John Dossett was nominated for a Tony for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for Gypsy in 2003.
See previous VillageGreenNJ.com coverage of Block here:
- SOMA People That You Meet: Stephanie Block, January 15, 2018
- ‘Charlie Pollock & Friends’ Return to Maplewood’s Woodland Stage June 19
, May 27, 2015