Police and Fire

Maplewood FD: None Injured in Jacoby Street Electrical House Fire

From the Maplewood Fire Department:

On Sunday, April 22 at 4:30 p.m., the Maplewood Fire Department responded to 186 Jacoby St. for a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke and fire in a second floor apartment bedroom. The Maplewood Police Department evacuated the building and attempted to extinguish the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher prior to the fire department’s arrival. A hand line was advanced to the second floor, where the flames involving some contents and the wall was extinguished quickly. The wall was opened up to check for fire extension beyond the original area with negative results. Smoke and fire damage was held to the room of origin, but water damage was sustained to the basement, first and second floors. South Orange and Millburn Fire Departments were summoned to the scene to assist.

The cause of the fire was investigated by the Maplewood Fire Investigation Team and determined to be a shorted extension cord plugged into a surge protector that was plugged into the wall outlet. The fire is being deemed as accidental.

Download (DOCX, 1.12MB)

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *