From the South Orange Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs:
An entry-level Open Water Diver Class will be offered at the South Orange Pool July 28-29. This scuba certification program will be under the direction of instructors from Underwater Adventures Dive Center located on Millburn Avenue in Short Hills. The program is sanctioned by PADI, the largest and most recognized certifying agency in the world.
Through a combination of academic work and in-water skills sessions, you will learn how to become a safe, confident, and capable scuba diver. You will also learn how much fun it is to experience the wonder and beauty of the underwater world.
The program has two parts. Part 1 combines academics with pool sessions to be completed during a single weekend. Part 2 is the Open Water training dives where you demonstrate your skills in a real water environment.
South Orange Pool membership is not required. However, pool members will receive a $74 discount on the Open Water Dive Class.
Fees associated with certification include:
- $399 academic/pool tuition ($325 for S.O. Pool Members)
- $89 for PADI Open Water Crewpak $295 + $98 park fees if participant elects to
- complete the open water dives needed to complete certification with the Underwater
- Adventure trip to Dutch Springs in PA. Participants can also choose to finish training
- on a warm weather vacation through a referral at your destination.
- $200-300 for equipment, if needed. Underwater Adventures provides a 15% student
- discount for this required personal equipment.
To register for the July 28-29 course in South Orange, please call Underwater Adventures directly or stop in at the store.