The League of Women Voters and the SOMSD Presidents’ Council, will host a BOE candidates forum on Monday, October 13, from 7:30-9:00 p.m. in the School Administration Building, 525 Academy Street, Maplewood.
Previously, the Hilton Neighborhood Association hosted a forum on September 18. Additionally, the Schools Committee of the South Orange/Maplewood Community Coalition on Race will present its 9th annual forum for candidates for the Board of Education on Tuesday, October 28, at 7:00 p.m. at Marshall Elementary School.
The October 13 forum will follow this format:
- The order of candidate statements and responses to questions will be determined by a random drawing of numbers at 7:00 p.m. before the start of the forum and will vary throughout the evening.
- Each candidate will be provided 2 minutes for an opening statement.
- Four questions prepared by the LWV and the Presidents Council will be posed in the first question segment of the program.
- The first candidate addressing each of these 4 questions will have 1.5 minutes to respond. Subsequent candidate responses will be allotted 1 minute.
- Members of the audience will also be provided the opportunity to submit their questions. Those questions will be collected, vetted, and given to the moderator to read.
- Questions posed by the audience will be answered in the agreed-upon order of rotation unless directed to a specific candidate; all candidates will have 1 minute to respond to these questions.
- There will be 2 minutes for closing remarks from each candidate.
To watch video of the September 18 candidates forum, visit here.
The election is November 4, 2014.