Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Ultimate Frisbee, founded in Maplewood, NJ
In 1968, Ultimate Frisbee was first played in a parking lot in Maplewood, NJ. 50 years later, the sport that was initially seen as a farce now has:
- 7 Million: Estimated active Ultimate players world-wide
- over 100: Number of countries where Ultimate is actively played.
Ultimate is a fast-moving team sport that emphasizes athleticism and sportsmanship. It combines the aerial passing skills found in football, with the quick transitions from offense to defense found in basketball, all using a high tech plastic disc (frisbee).
Join the Maplewood/South Orange, New Jersey community for various gatherings to celebrate the sport:
1) The Celebration. Friday, Nov. 23, at the Woodland in Maplewood, NJ; (5:00 pm to 9:00 pm). Reunion of players; discussion of past, present and future of Ultimate; dinner. Register here: https://chsvft.ticketleap.com/ultimate-frisbee-50th-celebration/
2) Annual Columbia High School Varsity Frisbee Team (CHSVFT) Alumni vs Varsity game on the asphalt school parking lot where the sport was initially played. Thursday, Nov. 22 (8 pm to 11 pm) – 49th Annual Game (the longest running ultimate game in the sport)
3) “Ultimate Hat tournament” Friday, Nov. 23 (11:00 am to 3:30 pm)