A vigil has been announced for Monday, March 18, at 7 p.m. in Maplewood in order to “honor of victims and against hate/Islamophobia, Mon 3/18 at 7:00 pm in Maplewood, NJ.
From Maplewood Township Committeeman Dean Dafis:
In light of yet another senseless act of violence and hate — this time against our Muslim brothers and sisters in New Zealand on Friday — please join us in solidarity against such hate and to honor and mourn the victims by candlelight vigil on Monday, 3/18 starting promptly at 7:00 pm. We will gather inMaplewood Village in the pedestrian plaza on the southeast corner of Baker St and Maplewood Avenue where the benches are across from Arturo’s and adjacent to the NJTransit parking lot.
Below you will find a tick tock for the event — subject to change as speakers become available. Because SOMA Action is presenting their “Standing Against Islamophobia” event at the library that evening at 7:30 pm, our gathering will be short but no less moving or powerful. Those wishing to attend the program at the library are welcome to march with us over to the library after the vigil.
Please spread the word and forward this to your network to join us.
- 7:00 pm – Welcome by Mayor De Luca & Mayor Collum, cue Marcia Bloomberg (co-organizer of Vigil with Maplewood Committeeman Dean Dafis)
- 7:05 pm – remarks by Marcia Bloomberg, cue Imams Ashraf Latif and Daud Haqq
- 7:10 pm – remarks by Imams Latif and Daud, cue Rabbi Jesse Olitzky, Rabbi Mark Cohen
- 7:15 pm – remarks by Rabbi Olitzky and Rabbi Cohen, cue Rev Brenda Ehlers
- 7:20 pm – remarks by Rev. Ehlers, cue Abdul Mubarak-Rowe & Nada Alzoubi
- 7:25 pm – closing remarks by Abdul Mubarak-Rowe & Nada Alzoubi
- 7:30 pm – Vigil ends