Maplewood is hosting its 8th Green Day fair on Saturday, June 18, 2016, in Memorial Park.
The event is aimed “to demonstrate simple ways that every person can make more planet-friendly, sustainable choices in their everyday lives.”
Organizers are expecting more than 5,000 attendees for the day of live music, how-to demonstrations, and more than 70 eco-vendors, environmental organizations, organic and local food providers and farmers.
“Our annual event is one of the largest community green fairs in our region. Based on the record turn-out and momentum generated from our previous green day events, we know that our message is really resonating with the community,” said Greg Lembrich, Maplewood Township Committeeman.
Clare Payton, chair of the Maplewood Green Team said, “There has never been a better time to come together with others to get energized by the innovative ideas of tomorrow, to engage in the actions of today and to collaborate on solutions for our future.”
- Access to more than 70 green vendors and exhibitors with the latest products and services for a sustainable community
- Delicious organic and local food from over 10 restaurants and farms
- All-electric vehicle (EV) car show with models from Tesla, Toyota, Ford and others
- “Live Animals of the Rain Forest” presentations by Rizzo’s Reptilesand visiting animals from local farm—cows, pigs, chickens and goats
- Hands-on science fun with Vinny Voltage
- Live bands all day: David Easton Band, Mood Ring and more
- Demonstrations: organic lawn installation, backyard composting, chicken raising, growing native plants and vegetables, retrofitting old homes, green cleaning, cold brew and more
- Bike repair clinic and fun riding arena with free monitored bike parking
- Planet-friendly fun activities include a solar-powered bouncy house, face painting, kid’s environmental games, Girl and Boy Scout Troops hands-on learning and more
- Sustainable school projects including an outdoor learning center, solar cookers and solar powered robots from five schools: Seth Boyden, Tuscan, Maplewood Middle, South Mountain & Columbia HS
- Maplewood Green Team program presentations: re:Yard for sustainable yard care, Essex Community Energy for resident energy rebates, Adopt a Park Site for local park clean-ups and Green Business registry for local businesses.
BRING: Bikes and trikes, ride-on toys and wagons, reusable water bottles and reusable shopping bags
SPONSORS: Maplewood Township Committee, PSEG, The Lichtman Rabney Group, Profeta Farms, Able Baker, Arturo’s Acorn Home Improvement, Pearl’s Premium Lawn Seed, Whole Foods NJ, Clean Communities Council and PUR20.
WHEN: 11:00 – 4:00 pm, Saturday, June 18, 2016
WHERE: Memorial Park between Dunnell Rd. and Maplewood Ave., directly across from NJ Transit Maplewood Station, Maplewood, NJ