Is the question that’s taking over social media in Maplewood — will there be recycling pickup on Tuesday, Sept. 6 (due to the fact that there was no pickup Monday, Labor Day, Sept. 5)?
The answer: yes.
See details below from Maplewood Township (and, South Orange, as always, will enjoy recycling toter pickup every other Thursday; next pickup is Sept. 15):
Recycling is an important step towards Maplewood’s goals of becoming a greener place to live, work and play. Additionally, improving recycling help to reduce waste disposal costs. Following is a list of items to assist in improving everyone’s recycling efforts:
RESIDENTIAL CURBSIDE RECYCLING:
Curbside recycling will be collected EVERY Monday for the entire town.
If any of the following Holidays fall on a Monday: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, collections will be on the Tuesday after the Holiday. For any other Holiday (not listed) that falls on Monday, collections will remain on Monday.
Recyclables should be put in reusable containers, or clear plastic bags, and placed at the curb the night before the scheduled recycling collection.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS FOR CURBSIDE SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING:
PAPER AND CARDBOARD- FIBER MUST BE DRY & FREE OF FOOD DEBRIS/CONTAMINATION
- All Cardboard or Regular Paper without wax liners
- Brown Paper Shopping Bags
- Cardboard Boxes- excess amounts can be flattened and tied alongside garbage can
- Cartons- including empty juice and milk cartons
- Chipboard; including cereal boxes, pizza boxes, shoe boxes
- Junk Mail, Phone Books, Hard Cover Books and Paperback books
- Magazines and Catalogs
- Office Paper; including copier paper and printer paper
- Shredded paper must be in a clear bag
GLASS- ALL GLASS MUST BE EMPTY
- Food and Beverage containers- must be empty (Colors brown, clear and green)
METALS- ALL CANS MUST BE EMPTY
- Aluminum Foil and Food Containers Free of Food/liquids
- Ferrous metal cans
- Food & Beverage Containers
- Pots and Pans
- Soda Cans
PLASTICS- ALL PLASTICS MUST BE EMPTY
- Empty Prescription Bottles
- Plastic Film Stretch clear and colors accepted
- Plastic Cups/Plates free of Food Debris
- Plastic Trays
- Styrofoam Food Containers (well rinsed)
- Plastic Bags
- Rigid Plastics: including milk and soda crates, plastic flower pots, plastic drums, plasticcoolers, plastic buckets, laundry baskets, empty garbage and recycling bins
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED:
- Coat Hangers
- Construction Debris of Any Kind
- Electronics of any Kind
- Food Waste
- Garden Hoses
- Hazardous Waste
- Light Bulbs
- Medical Waste- none is accepted
- Microwave Trays
- Mirrors and windows
- Motor Oil- or any other fluids, no empty containers can be accepted
- Paints or any chemicals
- Propane Containers
- Porcelain of any kind
- Styrofoam Peanuts
- Tissue and Papers Towels with used food waste cannot be accepted.
- VHS cassettes or any type of electronics
- Wire of any kind- no coat hangers
- Used Utensils and Paper Plates
Printable List of Recyclable Items
The Township of Maplewood also operates a recycling center located at 359 Boyden Ave. The facility is open to Maplewood residents only. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9am to 3pm, and Saturday from 9am to 12pm.
The facility is for residential usage only. Commercial usage is not allowed.
Items Accepted: All of the items listed above. Additionally, the center accepts used motor oil, used cooking oil, air conditioners, washers, dryers, and electronic waste items (see description below), and all types of clothing and fabrics (wearable or damaged).
February 13th Maplewood Recycling Center
March 12th South Orange Recycling Center
May 14th Maplewood Recycling Center
June 11th South Orange Recycling Center
July 9th Maplewood Recycling Center
September 10th South Orange Recycling Center
October 8th Maplewood Recycling Center
December 17th South Orange Recycling Center
Electronic Items Accepted At the Recycling Center:
CRT TV’s & Monitors Hard Drives
Microwaves, Toaster Ovens Metal Cased Audio
LCD, LED, & Plasma TV’s Cable Boxes
LCD, LED Monitor’s Printers, Toner Cartridges
Computers (desktop, laptop) Cell Phones, Pagers, Chargers
Servers, Modems, Routers Copy Machines, Fax Machines, Scanners
Audio & Video Equipment Rechargeable Batteries (Ni-Cad)
Electronic Items Not Accepted At the Recycling Center:
No Alkaline Batteries
No Household Hazardous Waste
No Materials Containing Liquids
No Radioactive materials
No PCB Containing Materials
No CDs, DVDs, VHS Tapes, or Cassette Tapes
No Light Bulbs (LED, CFL, Incandescent)
No Scavenged CRT TV’s Monitors (containing broken glass or broken housing)
No Mercury Containing Devices (thermostats, medical devices, thermometers)
Hours: 8am to 12pm. Maplewood residents may also bring their electronics to South Orange on the collection days held in South Orange (300 Walton Rd.)
If you have any questions please call Maplewood DPW at 973-762-1175.
Used Clothing Drop-Off Shed
Used clothing is also accepted at the Recycling Center. Receipts are also available so that donated clothing can be claimed as a tax deduction.
Items Not Accepted: