Women officials in Maplewood and South Orange in partnership with the area business districts are proud to launch SOMAWomen.org, the official site of SOMA Celebrates Women’s History Month where the two towns can learn about upcoming events and businesses can participate in submitting promotions and offerings for the month of March.
“Not only is more recognition of Women’s History Month long overdue,” said Maplewood Township Committeewoman Nancy Adams, “recognizing and appreciating all that women do for our communities and our world is especially long overdue and should be celebrated. We so enjoyed doing so last year and realized that men want to show their appreciation for all women give to the world that we’re hoping men will join us at all events this year!”
Last year, in the still-currenet climate of women’s marches, the battle for equal pay and healthcare, the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, Adams and South Orange Village President Sheena Collum decided it was a perfect time to kickoff what is hoped to be an annual celebration of women; March 2019 is the second year of SOMA Celebrates Women.
Collum, who is the first woman to hold the title of Village President in South Orange’s long history, agreed with Adams noting, “We’re surrounded by fierce females every day, so don’t confuse our kindness for weakness. Our lineup of events aims to combine empowerment, education, and entertainment and hopefully, we’ll end the month having built stronger relationships with one another.” She joked, “Oh, and we eat Doritos out of the bag – hear us crunch!”
Adams and Collum are joined on the steering committee by South Orange Village Trustees Deborah Davis Ford and Karen Hartshorn Hilton, Springfield Avenue Partnership Executive Director Julie Doran, Maplewood Village Alliance Executive Director Deb Yohannan, and South Orange Village Center Alliance Executive Director Bob Zuckerman. The preliminary lineup of events are as follows:
- “Wear White for Women” Group Photo: Saturday, March 2, 3:45pm, on the front steps of Maplewood Town Hall, 574 Valley Street, Maplewood
- Public Exhibition: The Art of Cathleen McCoy Bristol: Now through March 21st,
9:00am – 4:00pm Monday- Friday, the public hallways of South Orange Village Hall, 76 South Orange Ave. South Orange
- Women’s History Month Proclamation: Inviting all women elected officials, past and present! March 5, 7:30pm, Township Committee Meeting, Maplewood
- International Women’s Day Cocktail Celebration: Thursday, March 7, 5pm-8pm, The Fox & Falcon, 19 Valley Street, South Orange.
- “A League of Their Own” Movie Night: Saturday, March 16, 6pm-9pm, South Orange Performing Arts Center Loft. (FREE, Pre-Registration Required)
- In the Revolutionary Style on 18th Century Women’s Fashions: Sunday, March 17th, 1-4pm, Durand Hedden House, 523 Ridgewood Rd., Maplewood
- Ideas Festival Event: Women’s Sexual Health, Wednesday, March 27th, 7:00pm, Maplewood Memorial Library, 51 Baker St., Maplewood
- Women’s Intellectual Salon: Saturday, March 30, 2:30 – 6pm, Senior Center, 106 Burnett Ave., Maplewood
- “Miss Perkins, A Staged Reading”: Sunday, March 31, 4-6pm, The Parlour at The Woodland, 60 Woodland Rd., Maplewood.
- Ideas Festival Event: The Art of the Interview with WNYC’s Nancy Solomon: Monday, April 1, 7:00pm, Maplewood Memorial Library, 51 Baker St., Maplewood.
To learn more, visit www.SOMAWomen.org, use the official hashtag #SomaCelebratesWomen, and join the SOMA Celebrates Women Facebook Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/somawomen/members/.