From the Township of Maplewood:
Women officials in South Orange and Maplewood in partnership with business districts are proud to launch SOMAWomen.org, the official site of SOMA Celebrates Women’s History Month where the two towns can learn about upcoming events and businesses can participate in submitting promotions and offerings for the month of March.
“Not only is more recognition of Women’s History Month long overdue,” said Maplewood Township Committeewoman Nancy Adams, “recognizing and appreciating all that women do for our communities and our world is especially long overdue and should be celebrated.”
In the current climate of women’s marches, the battle for equal pay and healthcare, the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, Adams and South Orange Village President Sheena Collum decided it was a perfect time to kickoff what is hoped to be an annual celebration of women.
Collum, who is the first woman to hold the title of Village President in South Orange’s long history, agreed with Adams noting, “We’re surrounded by fierce females every day and don’t confuse our kindness for weakness. Our lineup of events aims to combine empowerment, education, and entertainment and hopefully, we’ll end the month having built stronger relationships with one another.” She joked, “Oh, and we eat Doritos out of the bag – hear us crunch!”
Adams and Collum are joined on the steering committee by South Orange Village Trustees Deborah Davis Ford and Karen Hilton, Springfield Avenue Partnership Executive Director Julie Doran, Maplewood Village Alliance Executive Director Deb Yohannan, and South Orange Village Center Alliance Executive Director Bob Zuckerman. The preliminary lineup of events are as follows:
- “Wear White for Women” Group Photo: Saturday, March 3, 10am-11am, Memorial Park Amphitheater, Maplewood
- International Women’s Day Cocktail Celebration: Thursday, March 8, 7pm-9pm, South Mountain Tavern, South Orange.
- “Maise Brews a Business – 1920s Tea Rooms”: Sunday, March 11, 2pm-4pm, Duran Hedden House and Garden, Maplewood.
- Women’s Empowerment: Shattering the Glass Ceiling: Sunday, March 18, 6pm-8pm, Burgdorff Center, Maplewood.
- “Hidden Figures” Movie Night: Saturday, March 24, 4pm-7pm, South Orange Performing Arts Center Loft. (Pre-Registration Required)
To learn more, visit www.SOMAWomen.org, use the official hashtag #SomaCelebratesWomen, and join the SOMA Celebrates Women Facebook Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/somawomen/members/.