There’s something about the impending New Year that makes us want to purge ourselves of old stuff we just don’t need or use anymore. Why not take that urge to purge and pay it forward by donating gently used clothing and other items to those who really need them?
“Use this extra time during the holiday break to clean out closets and drawers and donate to a local charity that needs them,” suggests Vanessa Pollock of the Vanessa Pollock Team at KW Midtown Direct.
Stumped at how to start? Check out this Village Green article for advice from professional de-clutterers and organizers on how to conquer clutter.
Next, drop off items at a local shelter, church or bin. Or make it even easier, and schedule a pick up at your home.
Two organizations that will pick up clothing, shoes, bedding, draperies, housewares, toys, small appliances, tools and more are Vietnam Veterans of America and United War Veterans Council:
- Call 800-775-8387 or schedule online at www.scheduleapickup.com
- Place items on your porch by 8 a.m. on scheduled day
- Clearly mark bags and boxes “For VVA”
United War Veterans Council
- Call 1-888-821-8982 for a truck to stop on a designated date, or schedule online at www. UWVCpickup.org.
- Place items out by 8 a.m. on scheduled day
- Clearly mark bags and boxes “FOR UWVC”