Maplewood Police and Fire

Firefighters Extinguish Electrical Fire at Arizona Iced Tea Building in Maplewood

With help from neighboring units — and a fan boat from Bergen County — Maplewood firefighters put out a blaze at a beverage packing facility on Wednesday.

The Maplewood Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at the Maplewood Beverage Packers (Arizona Iced Tea) building at 45 Camptown Road shortly before 9 a.m., according to Chief Michael Dingelstedt.

Engine 32 was first on the scene and reported smoke coming from the roof and that the building had been evacuated, Dingelstedt said.  Workers reported that the fire was located in the front corner of the building. Because of the size of the building, the MFD requested assistance from units in Irvington, Millburn, South Orange and East Orange Fire Departments, and called in units from Union, Orange and Montclair Fire Departments as backup and to cover the town during the incident.

Bergen County Fan Boat

Dingelstedt continued:

“Investigation of the interior found a heavy smoke condition in the building with the fire involving the main electrical panel and surrounding conduits and wiring. Due to the electrical hazard, dry chemical fire extinguishers were used to knock down the main body of fire in the panel and wiring. There was no extension of fire outside the original area of origin. Searches were conducted in the building to ensure that all occupants had exited safely. Extensive ventilation was required, with requests made for a large volume fan from Millburn and a fan boat from Bergen County. Both were utilized to remove the remainder of smoke from the building.”

The fire was reported out and all units were cleared from the scene by 11:46 a.m. There were no reported injuries.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *