Maplewood Police and Fire

Maplewood Fire Dept: Neighborhood Electrical Condition Sparks House Fire on Kendal

From the Maplewood Fire Department:

An electrical problem in the Kendal Ave. neighborhood is being blamed for a fire that ignited a house fire, leaving the residence uninhabitable.

The Maplewood Fire Department responded to Kendal Ave. on October 7th just before 5:00 p.m. to investigate an electrical condition with an odor of something burning. Upon arrival, several residents were reporting various electrical conditions with lights blown in their homes. The electrical panels were secured in all of the affected residences, but as firefighters were exiting 26 Kendal Ave., a pop was heard and shortly after the neighbors were pointing to the home reporting a fire. Deputy 3 investigated and discovered heavy fire within a second floor window with smoke showing from the attic.

A water supply was established and two hand lines were deployed to the second floor to quickly extinguish the flames. Once the fire was knocked down, firefighters opened up the walls and ceiling on the second and third floor to check for possible extension with none found. The fire was declared under control at 5:50 p.m.

Several addresses on the block had the power secured inside their homes, but PSE&G also shut the power to the entire block until the problem could be rectified.

Mutual aid fire departments from Millburn, South Orange and Union provided assistance at the scene. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported at the incident.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *