Maplewood firefighters quickly extinguished a garage fire on Monday after a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the structure. The fire caused extensive damage to the roof, according to Capt. Keith Addie. There were no injuries.
Read more details in the press release below:
Maplewood firefighters quickly extinguished a garage fire on August 26th after a neighbor noticed smoke emanating from a garage to the rear of the residence, causing extensive damage to the roof.
The Maplewood Fire Department was dispatched on a full assignment at 6:46 p.m. to 28 Colgate Rd. for the reported residential garage fire. Engine 32 arrived on scene and reported a light smoke condition in the area and investigated further to find a fire inside a two-car detached garage that was mostly extinguished by the homeowner with a garden hose. Ladder 31 arrived on scene shortly after along with Deputy 3, who established command of the scene. Firefighters from Engine 32 stretched a hand line to the garage, as there was evidence of fire extension into a storage area loft and roof rafters. Firefighters from Ladder 31 and Irvington Fire Department dismantled sections of the roof with a saw to expose hidden fire in the roof rafters.
The fire was declared under control in approximately 15 minutes, but extensive overhaul was needed to ensure all hot spots were extinguished completely.
The garage was posted as an unsafe structure by the Maplewood Building Department due to the significant damage sustained to the roof.
Mutual aid from Irvington Fire Department was provided at the scene, while Millburn Fire Department covered the town during the incident.
There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries at the scene.