The following is from the Maplewood Recreation Department
This August, the Maplewood Recreation Department will offer a variety of summer academic prep camps for young learners. The Budding Learners’ Camps include math and reading for children grades K-3. The camps are open to all towns and are not exclusive to Maplewood residents.
Registration is available online here.
Kindergarten Prep: For children entering Kindergarten in September
- August 28 – September 1, 2017, 9:00-12:00, $170, Burgdorff Building
- Kindergarten is an amazing year filled with much laughter and lots of learning. Allow your child to prepare for one of the most important school years, while making new friends and having lots of fun. Our camp helps to create a smooth transition into Kindergarten by providing songs, games, crafts, and play that will teach the fundamental skills required for Kindergarten success.
- Several key skills where we focus development: Fine and gross motor skills, Sight Word knowledge, Word Family skills, handwriting development, writing skills, number sense, basic addition and subtraction, graphing, fractions, time, money, comprehension strategies, Sticky Word Strategies, fluency
Reading & Writing Made Fun: For children entering grades K-3 in September
- August 14-18, 9:00-12:00, $170, Burgdorff Building
- It is our goal to create a love of reading and writing in your child. Through our extensive training and experience as Reading Specialists, we are able to bring exciting learning games, strategies, and methods to help your child develop and/or build upon his love of reading. All activities will be done in whole group and small achievement level groups. Phonics Fun, Teachers College, Orton-Gillingham, and Wilson Methods are used.??
- Reading and Writing Camp will focus on the following skill development: Sight words, writing development
- Reading development including: fluency and comprehension strategies, decoding and encoding skills including: blends, word families, vowel combinations
Math Made Fun: For children entering grades K-3 in September
- August 21-25, 2017 9:00-12:00, $170, Burgdorff Building
- Mastery of math facts and math fundamentals are imperative to becoming successful in math. Our camp focuses on building math skills through exciting games, centers, songs, crafts, and teaching strategies to gain confidence and build on essential skills for a smooth transition into the next school year.
- Math Camp will Focus on the following skill development: Grade level math facts, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, word problems, time, money and fractions, Comparing numbers: greater than, less than, place value Mental Math strategies