Dr. John Ramos, the newly-appointed district superintendent, will preside over his first Board of Education meeting Monday, August 24. The meeting will see the Board welcome a new Student Representative, Nina Kambili, and take action on a number of policies. The full agenda is here.
Among the policies being considered is a list of courses and materials expected to debut in September. These courses were developed with Board approval and include:
- Effective School Solutions–Columbia High School academic course focused on social, emotional, and interpersonal skills, self-regulation, and academic and study skills to support students as they move through tiered interventions in the ESS program (for classified and non-classified students) – 5 credits if full-year and 2.5 for half year.
- Language Arts – Grade 6 – The Iliad
- Language Arts – Grade 6 – Travels with Charley, Grade 6
- Language Arts Grade 7 – The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
- Language Arts Grade 7-Analyzing an Author’s Style:Macaulay’s Unique Way ofExplaining a Complex Process
- Social Studies-National History Day,Grade 6
- Social Studies – Model UN: Human Rights, Grade 7
- Science – Scientific Investigation and Inquiry, Grade 6
- Science – Detectives in The Classroom, Grade 7
A number of new books are also slated to be added to the high school curricula.