SOMA residents: beware, the taxman cometh.
South Orange residents recently received letters from the Village alerting them to the beginning of the upcoming property reassessment process; Maplewood residents should receive their letters within the next couple of weeks, according to Asst. Township Administrator Cesar Correa.
Because the assessed values of properties in Maplewood and South Orange has fallen below 85% of market value, the Essex County Board of Taxation ordered both towns to perform property reassessments. The towns are conducting the reassessment jointly.
The assessment is being conducted by Appraisal Systems, Inc. For more detailed information, visit their website.
Visit the South Orange website for more information and FAQs.
Read more about the reassessment in this Village Green article.
What should property owners expect?
- In the coming months, representatives from Appraisal Systems Inc. will visit your home between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. and conduct an exterior AND interior inspection.
- Outside measurements will be taken to determine square footage.
- Inspectors will look for a number of factors, including: the type of interior wall construction, number of bathrooms, type of heat and central air conditioning, percentage of finished attic and basement areas, inground pools, number of fireplaces, physical condition of the property, garages and more. Landscaping is not assessed.
- Interior inspections should take roughly 15 minutes.
- If you are not home, inspectors will leave a card for you with the return date.
- You may refuse to have your property inspected but if you do, the law allows the company to assess your property at the highest, most reasonable value.
Value letters will be mailed in the fall of 2016; property owners may then schedule a meeting to review the valuation. Final values will be established in late spring, 2017.