The following is from Lon & Ed Arnold-Berkovits, Maplewood Ultimate Head Coaches:
MIDDLE SCHOOL COED INTRAMURAL
Ultimate is a fast-moving team sport that emphasizes athleticism and sportsmanship. It combines the aerial passing skills found in football, with the quick transitions from offense to defense found in basketball, all using a high tech plastic disc (frisbee). This program is for children in grades 6-8 who are interested in learning to play Ultimate Frisbee, from fundamental skills to intermediate strategies.
Players are expected to attend at least 9 of the 10 weeks of the season, as their team will develop team skills and strategies as a unit, play an intramural competitive game each week, and participate in the league championships at the end of the season. If your child cannot commit to this schedule, please do not register for this Fall league program. Instead, please wait to register for the Spring Hometown Ultimate scrimmage program, which will have a less formal structure, and will not have an attendance requirement.
Saturday, September 10th and Sunday, September 11th (from 12:45 to 3:15pm) at Maplecrest Park.
- New Players must attend both Saturday and Sunday tryout days.
- Returning Fall Hometown Players should only attend Sunday tryouts
No experience is needed to try out, but all players must be Pre-Registered. Priority will be given to those who demonstrate a willingness to learn, can take direction, demonstrate good sportsmanship (spirit of the game), and can commit to attend at least 9 of the 10 weeks of the season.
- Every Sunday, 12:45-3:15 pm, From September 18th through November 20th (10 weeks) at Maplecrest Park.
- TBD: One Friday night game vs. Westfield under the lights at DeHart Park.
Payments will be collected after tryouts (a final registration will occur after the official roster is selected). If your child makes the team, the costs will include:
- $80 team fee paid to the Maplewood Recreation Department. A disc will be provided to each team player.
- $10 shirt fee, paid separately by check only.
Interested in Volunteering to Coach? Please contact the Head Coaches.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Recreation Department or email the program Head Coaches.