From the Village Vibe:
The South Orange Board of Trustees is presently considering an ordinance to encourage the use of reusable carry-out bags, prohibit the use of plastic carry-out bags, and put a $0.05 fee on paper carry-out bags for all retail businesses in South Orange.
They want to hear from you, the local business owners and the residents who shop here.
The ordinance would:
- Place a ban on plastic carry out bags in retail establishments within South Orange.
- Allow retailers to offer a paper carry-out bag option for a fee of $0.05 each.
- Encourage stores to offer reusable carry-out bags (free or for a fee) at any time.
- Allow plastic and paper bags to be used in other capacities without a fee within the store (Package bulk items, wrap meat, prepared foods, baked goods, to contain dampness, take-out food and doggy bags).
- Take effect 6 months after passage.
Join them at SOPAC on Monday, April 1 at 7 PM in the SOPAC Loft (third floor) to hear the details and share your concerns, ideas, and opinions.