This election season — as in most — there have been a lot of forums, a lot of statements, and a lot of letters to the editor regarding the South Orange-Maplewood Board of Education candidates. We’re gong to try to round it all up for you here, and we will continue to update this page through Election Day — which, by the way, is November 6. Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. Find your polling place here.
Did we miss anything? Email us at [email protected].
Marian Cutler: www.trzaskacutler4boe.com
Shannon Cuttle: https://cuttleforboe.com
Javier Farfan: https://www.boe2018.com
Narda Greene: https://afasomsd.com
Michael Laskowski: https://afasomsd.com
Annemarie Maini: https://www.boe2018.com
Bruno Navarro: https://navarrosoma.com
Christopher Trzaska: www.trzaskacutler4boe.com
All 8 candidates statements can be found here, or you can click on each candidate’s name for individual statements published on Village Green:
- Marian Cutler
- Shannon Cuttle
- Narda Chisholm-Greene
- Javier Farfan
- Michael Laskowski
- Annemarie Maini
- Bruno Navarro
- Christopher Trzaska
ELEC (Election Law Enforcement Commission)
All candidates are required to file campaign forms with the Election Law Enforcement Commission (ELEC). Find candidate ELEC forms here.
Village Green has published the following coverage on candidate forums (or scroll down for direct access to the videos):
- VIDEO & TRANSCRIPTION: BOE Candidates Discuss School Security at Coalition on Race Forum — October 23, 2018
- VIDEO: 2018 Hilton Neighborhood Association BOE Candidates Forum — October 18, 2018— timestamps are provided for questions on access & equity (focusing on educational supports), collective bargaining, addressing the achievement gap in the middle schools, the superintendent selection, and supporting controversial superintendent decisions.
- VIDEO: BOE Candidates Talk Integration, Facilities and More at First Forum —SOMA Cares About Schools Forum, October 3, 2018 — candidates discussed integration, overcrowding, facilities plan, out-of-district (OOD) placements, Stephanie Lawson-Muhammad traffic stop, who on the board they are aligned with, and “Who is your campaign manager?” (See next bullet point.) Village Green reported out answers to Integration and Facilities Planning in this article.
- VIDEO: South Orange-Maplewood BOE Candidates Respond to ‘Who’s Your Campaign Manager?’ Question — October 3, 2018
- CHS Student Coalition to Host South Orange-Maplewood BOE Candidates Forum Nov 2
- PARES and SOMA Action Present “Candi-Date with the BOE” Sunday, November 3, 4-6 p.m. at Congregation Beth El, 222 Irvington Avenue, South Orange, NJ.
SEPAC (the Special Education Parent Advisory Committee) submitted questions to the candidates related to special education and services and posted the answers here.
SOMA Black Parent Workshop submitted 9 questions for candidates on issues of race and equity including racial disparities in suspensions, supports for Black students in advanced-education classes, the Amistad curriculum, and posted the answers here.
LETTERS OF SUPPORT
Members of the community were invited to send letters stating why they support any chosen candidate (deadline is November 2, 5 p.m. but publication cannot be guaranteed depending on volume). The letters must focus on the chosen candidate(s) and refrain from attacks on other candidates. Letters are posted at the discretion of the editors.
Marian Cutler and Christopher Trzaska —
Letter: Trzaska and Cutler are Committed to Full, Open Communication on the BOE — Susan and Duncan Rogers
Shannon Cuttle —
Letter: Shannon Cuttle Brings Experienced Leadership for Sustainable Change — Gail Greenstein, Ed.D
Letter: Columbia High School Student-Activists Support Cuttle for BOE — Phoebe Hill, Laila Gold, Lily Forman and Olivia Hirsch
Letter: Cuttle Brings Both Passion and Expertise — Steve Mershon
Daugherty: Cuttle is Committed to Ensuring Students Have a Voice — Beth Daugherty
Letter: Cuttle Brings Broad, Systemic Approach to SOMSD — Peter Haugen
Narda Chisholm-Greene and Michael Laskowski —
Letter: Laskowski & Chisholm-Greene Are True Community Leaders — Howie Teitelbaum
Annemarie Maini and Javier Farfan —
Letter: Maini & Farfan Will Ensure Changes Are Made Thoughtfully, Equitably — Christine Houseworth
Letter: A Vote for Maini is a Vote for Every Child in SOMSD — Kathy Ehrich Dowd
Letter: Maini and Farfan are Most Qualified for BOE — Bill and Peggy Tally
OPINION PIECES by Candidates
The News-Record of Maplewood and South Orange has also been covering South Orange-Maplewood Board of Education candidate forums. Read here.
Joy Yagid has videotaped the four community forums that have taken place through November 1 on behalf of SOMAtv.