In honor of Arbor Day, free tree seedlings will be available to Maplewood residents through the New Jersey Forest Service’s New Jersey Tree Recovery Campaign on Saturday, April 30. The program is a joint effort between Maplewood Township, NJ Forest Service, Urban and Community Forestry Program, NJ Forest Service Nursery, New Jersey Soil Conservation Districts, Arbor Day Foundation, FedEx and Texpo Energy.
From 8:30am to 12:00 pm (or until seedlings are gone), residents will be able to pick up tree seedlings at the Department of Public Works Facility located at 359 Boyden Avenue in Maplewood). Seedling supply is limited, and one seedling per household will be available on a first come, first serve basis. The following seedling inventory will be available:
- 100 Shellbark Hickory, carya laciniosa
- 50 Hackberry, celtis occidentalis
- 50 Flowering Dogwood, cornus florida
- 50 Kousa Dogwood, cornus kousa
- 50 Cornelian Cherry, cornus mas
- 50 Tulip Poplar, liriodendron tulipfera
- 100 Willow Oak, quercus phellos
- 50 Bald Cypress, taxodium distichum
Each seedling will come with instructions on how to store, care for, and plant the tree. Residents should plant the seedlings within two days after pick-up in order to prevent the roots from drying out.
If you have any questions, please contact Kristin Cordray at the Maplewood Department of Public Works (973) 762-1175 ext. 2 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.