People That You Meet” is a series of interviews conducted and posted by the Vanessa Pollock Team/Keller Williams, highlighting residents of the South Orange-Maplewood community and their diverse and interesting lives.
This installment is an interview with Diederik Lohman, who works for the Human Rights Watch, running the health and human rights division.
What town do you live in?
Where did you live before that?
- Moscow, Russia
What brought you to SOMA?
- After living in a mega city like Moscow with two little kids we decided we wanted to live somewhere green with space for the kids to play. Genine, my wife, had a friend who lived in Maplewood. I was sold the moment they had us over to check out the town
What do you do (for a living or as a serious hobby)?
- I work for Human Rights Watch, running the health and human rights division. We do research and advocacy on the health rights of (mostly) vulnerable populations, such as the poor, elderly, the terminally ill, and people at high risk of HIV.
Where do you love to go on a date night?
- Go to the theater.
What music/album are you really into these days?
- I’m trying to play Liebestraum by Liszt on the piano. It’s way above my skill level.
If you could have a super-power, what would it be?
Of all the places you’ve traveled, which is your favorite?
- That’s a good question for me given that I travel all over the world for my job. Some of the places I love going: Mexico, Senegal, Armenia, South Africa, India. Places I often have to go but don’t love: Geneva, Vienna and other destinations with UN headquarters.
What inspires you?
- Human rights advocates who work in tough situations all over the world to defend the rights of their fellow citizens not because that makes them rich (financially) but because they see it as their calling. I am incredibly privileged to have work with many dozens of them over my career. They inspire me to keep going every day.
Coffee or tea?
- (ice) Tea
Also, Do you have a charity or organization that you are passionate about?
- I work for one so that’s easy: Human Rights Watch.
People That You Meet: https://vanessapollock.com/people-that-you-meet/