Between now and the end of the year, The Village Green is presenting the series, “Home for the Holidays,” a reminder during this holiday season that when you shop local, we all win!
Nothing says “Home for the Holidays” quite like celebrating a wonderfully cooked homemade Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends. With that in mind, our next featured business is Kitchen a la Mode, which is ready with everything you need to create the perfect holiday meal (or be the perfect holiday guest).
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and whether you are cooking your first family feast, continuing a yearly tradition, or bringing a dish to complement another host’s meal, we have broken down must have items to make it through the day!
FOR THE TURKEY, TOFURKEY, OR OTHER MAIN DISH
1) A sturdy roasting pan with a heavy bottom is perfect for catching drippings or caramelizing vegetables. Plus, the pan can sit directly on the stovetop and is long enough to span two burners―great for making gravy.
2) Non Stick Roasting Rack A roasting rack allows air to circulate around your bird, rendering it perfectly cooked with crispy skin―even on the bottom.
3) Fat Separator Makes perfect gravy to complement any meal.
4) Turkey Baster To keep the bird perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
5) Digital Thermometer Turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
6) Turkey Lifter I won’t tell you about the time the turkey landed on the floor because we didn’t have these.
7) Carving/ Cutting board with a built-in trench to catch juices from the bird (add them to your gravy!). Use one side to chop your vegetables, and then flip over to use the other side to carve the turkey.
8) Carving set
FOR THE POTATOES
1) Potato Peeler Don’t risk trying to use a knife.
2) Potato Masher The right masher can let you control the texture of your potatoes.
3) Glass Dishes with Lids Perfect for traveling to the dinner or home with left overs.
FOR PIE BAKERS AND LOVERS
1) Pretty Pie Plate After you’ve spent hours laboring over dessert, give it its due display.
2) Pie Weights Pie weights are small ceramic or metal balls that you use when “blind” baking a pie crust.
3) Pie Shield to keep the edges of the pie from browning to fast.
4) Pie Servers This is one of those tools that makes a huge difference in ease of serving and the look of the final product. So many to choose from!
5) Pie Carrier (if you are bringing desserts to others this is a must have)
6) French rolling pin Can be used for anything- makes a great rolling pin due to the natural extension from your hands while rolling
OTHER KEY ITEMS
1) Baking sheets You’ll be amazed how many things you can do with a simple sheet pan: Roast vegetables, cook fish and poultry, bake cookies, and more.
2) Great wine opener
3) Food processor
4) Table cloths/ napkins/ napkin rings and a beautiful centerpiece – Check out our window and instagram for inspiration with the help of @wildly_florals who is hosting an open studio workshop at The Woodland on Wednesday November 21st from 7-9 pm so you can make your very own centerpiece!
All of these must have items are available and ready to make a home in your kitchen!
Kitchen a la Mode
19 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079