The Strollers, the Community Theater in Residence at The Burgdorff Center for the Performing Arts in Maplewood, have announced the cast of their upcoming production of the musical Hairspray.
With a book by Mark O’Donnell and Thomas Meehan and music ad lyrics by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the musical is based on the film by John Waters.
Hairspray tells the story of teenager Tracy Turnbad’s dream to dance on the Corny Collins show, a local TV dance program. When she wins a role on the show, she becomes an overnight celebrity, and meets a colorful array of characters. Tracy then launches a campaign to integrate the show. The musical is set in the 1960s.
The cast is as follows:
- Tracy Turnblad – Lucinda Fisher of Flemington
- Link Larkin – Rob Ryan of Gladstone
- Amber Von Tussle – Dena Daniel of New York
- Amber Von Tussle – Brianna Newman of Maplewood
- Penny Pingleton – Holly Lehren of South Orange
- Edna Turnblad – Eric Parkin of Belleville
- Corny Collins – Peter Alexader of Linden
- Seaweed Stubbs – Jalil Moutrie of Newark
- Motomouth Maybelle – Regine Riviere of Newark
- Prudy/Gym Teacher/Matron and Dance Captain– Carol Cornicelli of Maplwood
- Lille Inez – Lucy Freeman of Maplewood
- Wilbur Turnblad/Producer – Glen Albright of Union
- Tammy – Melody Atkinson of Emerson
- Shelly – Rose Kortney of Glen Ridge
- IQ – Josh Ewig of South Orange
- Lorraine/Dynamite – Victorie Omou of Glen Ridge
- Grace/Dynamite – Adunnu Rae Charles of Maplewood
- Cindy/Dynamite – Anique Evans of South Orange
- Sketch – Matthew Lintern of South Orange
- Ensembe/Asst Stage Manager – Laura Ben-Asher
- Ensemble – Kayla Freeman of Maplewood
- The Production is Directed and Choreographed by Rob Pape. With Musical Direction by Marsha Schreier, Costumes by Leah Milcarek, Props by Yvonne Perry, Lighting by John Mendlovitz, sound by Molly Holzbauer and Stage Managed by JoAnne Haneky.
The production runs May 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, and 16 at 8 p.m. and May 3 and 10 at 2 p.m.
Tickets are $25 for Adults, $20 for Students/Seniors and can be purchased at www.thestrollers.org or by calling 973-761-8453.
All performances are at the Burgdorff Center for the Performing Arts, 10 Durand Road, Maplewood.
For further information visit the above mentioned website or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.