It’s finally here — South Orange’s biannual (as in every two years) municipal election takes place on Tuesday, May 11. Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
This year, four candidates are vying for three seats on the six-person South Orange Board of Trustees: Braynard “Bobby” Brown, Neil Chambers, Bill Haskins and Karen Hilton. Election Day is Tuesday, May 11. South Orange elections are non-partisan; candidates do not run under a party affiliation. Terms are for four years. The Village President is elected directly every four years; the next election for Village President takes place in 2023.
Brown, Haskins and Hilton are running together on Line B. The slate has a Facebook page and website. Hilton is the lone incumbent. Chambers, on Line A, announced his run on a platform of using the office of Trustee to leverage the re-opening of the schools. Although candidates can run on a slate, voters can vote for any three candidates they choose.
Hilton, Haskins and Brown have submitted candidate statements. Click on the links to read each:
The Farrell Field Park Conservancy held Meet and Greets with the candidates. Watch them here:
Academy Heights Candidates Forum
All four candidates participated in a candidates forum hosted by the Academy Height Neighborhood Association on April 21. Questions included topics related to social justice, the Master Plan, aging in place, development, recycling and the environment and more. Read more here.
Village Green has received the following endorsement letters:
- Zuckerman Endorses Hilton, Haskins & Brown for South Orange Board of Trustees
- LETTER: McGehee Endorses Brown, Haskins and Hilton for South Orange Board of Trustees
- South Orange Trustee Summer Jones Endorses Hilton, Haskins & Brown
- South Orange VP Collum Endorses Brown, Haskins and Hilton for Board of Trustees
- LETTER: Hilton, Haskins & Brown Have the Energy, Fervor, and Creativity to Lead South Orange (Dale Favors)
- LETTER: A Vote for Brown, Haskins and Hilton is a Vote for Good Governance (Michael Parlopiano)
- LETTER: Hilton, Haskins & Brown Strive to Make South Orange the Best Town it Can Be (Richard Stephen Bell)
- LETTER: Bill Haskins’ Ticket Is a Green Ticket (Susan Haig)
- Trustee Walter Clarke Endorses Hilton, Haskins & Brown for South Orange BOT
- Trustee Donna Coallier Endorses Hilton, Haskins & Brown for South Orange Board of Trustees
- LETTER: Hilton, Haskins & Brown are Knowledgeable, Experienced, and Passionate (Judith Chelius Stark)
- LETTER: Hilton, Haskins & Brown Will Bring Strong Experience to the South Orange BOT (Donna Smith)
- LETTER: Hilton, Haskins & Brown Know How Government Works (Lorraine Graves)
- LETTER: Hilton, Haskins & Brown Bring Experience & Leadership on Environment, Racial Equity & Fiscal Management (Eve Peterson and Tom Hunt)
- Rosner Endorses Hilton, Haskins & Brown for South Orange Board of Trustees (Mark Rosner)