- This event has passed.
SOMA Action Day of Action, Night of Fun
September 25 @ 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
DAY OF ACTION, NIGHT OF FUN
SOMA Action hosts thought-provoking panels and post-event party
WHO: SOMA Action, the South Orange/Maplewood-based grassroots organization focused on driving progressive change.
WHAT: A Day of Action, featuring timely and informative panel discussions designed to open the lines of communication and encourage action on the most pressing issues facing the community. A night of celebration will follow.
WHY: As we emerge from a debilitating pandemic, there are many issues that rise to the top and require the attention of the progressive minds in our community. Topics of note will include:
- Climate Action: Global and Local: The Climate Committee will discuss national and local actions we can take to fight for Earth, justice and our health. Matt Smith, NJ Director, Food & Water Watch; Jonathan Poor, Maplewood Environmental Committee; Jane Conrad, PhD.
- Redeeming Cannabis: How has racism defined the war on drugs and its aftermath? How can the local cannabis industry work to repair the harm inflicted on Black and brown communities? Leo Bridgewater, Cannabis Advocate, BridgeH20 LLC; Jessica Gonzalez, Esq., Cannabis Attorney at Bressler Amery & Ross, General Counsel for Minorities for Medical Marijuana; Jill Cohen, TheCannaBossLady; Sasha Huetz, Cannabis Consultant.
- Critical Race Theory: Dismantling Systemic Oppression: How and why has this landmark theory created such hysterically fearful reactions in so many conservatives? Dr. Khadijah Costley-White, Associate Professor at Rutgers School of Media and Journalism; Aaron Greene Esq., Associate Counsel at the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice; Darryl Jefferies, President of the NAACP of the Oranges and Maplewood.
WHEN: Saturday, September 25, 2021.
- Day: 11:00 AM – 4:15 PM Panel Discussions.
- Night: 6:00 PM-11:00 PM Cocktails, Food by Pizza Vita, DJ Spinning by Dirty Preston, & Live Music by Epic Soul starting at 7:30.
WHERE: Maplewood Tennis Club, 489 Ridgewood Road, Maplewood.
Admission to panels and day events are free. Tickets for the night party are $50 and can be purchased here: https://www.aplos.com/aws/events/soma_fun
**Everyone over 12 will be required to show proof of vaccination, and face mask requirements will be strictly complied with for all indoor portions of the events.
ABOUT SOMA ACTION
SOMA Action is a grassroots organization with more than 2000 members in South Orange and Maplewood (“SOMA”) New Jersey whose mission is to drive progressive change. Formed in the wake of the 2016 election, SOMA Action mobilizes residents of our two towns and neighboring communities to advocate for a broad range of progressive policies at the local, state and national level. We pursue results through education, activism, and exerting policy and electoral influence. For more information, contact email@example.com
SOMA Action is a 501(c)(4) organization. Donations are not tax deductible.